High quality vented Ni-Cad batteries in standby stationary applications can last for 20+ years, but they need proper maintenance in order to prolong the battery service life and optimize DC system performance. Without monitoring, inspections and maintenance can be scheduled on a calendar basis. However, manual verification of a large number of cells is time consuming and unreliable, especially for terminal connection resistance and inter-cell connection resistance measurements. Effective monitoring provides remote indications of abnormal operation and cell condition, including battery bus voltage, charging current, string continuity, temperature, electrolyte level, cell voltage, and corrosion caused by potassium carbonate (gray-white deposits) buildup. Effective monitoring also automatically records the discharge performance and facilitates scheduled capacity testing.
Giving the nature of pocket plate NiCad batteries, the aging and deterioration mechanisms are distinctly different from Lead Acid. A NiCad cell does not experience continual corrosion of the positive plate and grid structure throughout its operation life. Only the gradual aging or the active materials influences the service life. Degradation is primarily due to recrystallization of the nickel hydroxide in the positive plate. This aging contributes to a small portion of Internal Resistance so the Internal Resistance for NiCad cells remains steady over service life. 1-wire Mode Resistance reflects Cell Internal Resistance, Cell-to-Cell Connection Resistance and Electrolyte Low Abnormality.
Sentry-6002 is a time-proven, reliable, and powerful battery monitoring system for power generation plants and distribution substations. The Sentry-6002-NiCad 1-wire mode version has the same electronics and housing design as Sentry-6002NEMA (2-wire mode for vented or valve regulated lead acid battery) systems, but also has optimized firmware and connection panel, for NiCad applications.
Sentry-6002-NiCad automates recommended measurements in IEEE and NERC standards for NiCad batteries to ensure its safe operation, efficient battery maintenance, and optimal battery service life.
IEEE and NERC Standard Reference
IEEE Std. 1106: Recommended Practice for Installation, Maintenance, Testing, and Replacement of Vented Nickel-Cadmium Batteries for Stationary Applications
Standard PRC-005-2: Protection System Maintenance Table 1-4(c) (NERC Link or BatteryDAQ Fulfillment Link)
- Ultra Precise IR – Resistance measurement is performed on each cell with advanced DC method, to detect battery failure, electrolyte level low and corrosion on inter-cell connection for preventative maintenance.
- 1-wire mode – Simple to install. One sampling wire to each cell.
- IP65 (NEMA4) grade protection allows unit(s) to be installed inside the battery room, without concern of corrosive environment. All-in-One compact design allows for easy installation on a rack or wall.
- Automatic Discharge Capture to record cell level data for planned load test and unplanned power outage.
- Easy to Install – Four-terminal measurement principle, ohmic accuracy is not affected by the sampling wire length. Optimized wiring design for quick and reliable installation for variety of battery sizes, post types and rack layouts.
- Reliable Solid State Scanning – (rather than mechanical relay) provides the highest reliability for industrial applications.
- HMI Panel – The plug and play touch panel (optional, handheld or panel mounting) displays battery data and alarms. It allows the technician to configure and calibrate without the need of a PC.
- Access Data/Alarm from Anywhere – Firewall friendly communication, plug and play, easy to manage large number of sites from anywhere via internet or private network. Alarming through email or SMS.
- SCADA Integration – The system fully supports 3rd party SCADA or site management systems with Modbus-RTU, Modbus-TCP, API and hyperlink to real-time data.
- NERC Report – 1-click Excel “Auto-fill” NERC report generation with realtime data from remote site. Easy to plot trending with stored data in remote unit.
- Designed, manufactured, and supported by BatteryDAQ in Maryland USA.