Implementation of effective battery monitoring
Plan and Budget
Collect battery bank information
|1||VRLA||Telecom||48V||24 x 2V||Rack||30|
|2||NiCad||Switchgear||120V||88 x 1.25V||Rack||10|
|3||VRLA||UPS||480V||40 x 12V||Cabinet||55|
Identify the pain point and proper solution
|To preclude, detect and control thermal runaway
VRLA battery systems shall be provided with a listed device or other approved method to preclude, detect and control thermal runaway. CFC 608.3
|To replace existing thermal runaway detection device (temperature only) which produces false alarm|
|To replace exiting Battery Monitoring System because … … reasons|
|Battery service safety|
|NERC compliance for power plants and substations|
|Substation automation upgrade|
|To replace manual conductance/internal resistance inspection.|
|To identify weak/bad batteries for preventative maintenance/battery replacement|
|To extend battery service life with prompt and proper maintenance.|
|To reduce the operation cost for remote sites by changing from fixed battery replacement interval to targeted services with remote monitoring battery health data.|
|To evaluate solar system performance and identify weak batteries for best energy harvesting.|
|To provide your clients more competitive UPS/battery services with remote battery monitoring.|
|To strive to ensure that backup power will work as needed, when needed.|
|More … …|
List out restrictions
- Can the battery monitor be installed inside the battery room?
- Can the BMS be connected to your business network?
Communication, NOC and SCADA
- Is the Ethernet available?
- If no Ethernet, is there a dry contact input?
- Are you considering a 3G/4G plan? ($15 per month, plus a gateway $250)
- What is the preferred protocol: Modbus-TCP (Ethernet) or Modbus-RTU (Serial)?
- Obtain a reference RFP/RFQ from BatteryDAQ (we have worked on 100+ RFP/RFQs.) or other source as the starting point.
- Cost/benefit analysis for certain features. Cross some lines such as:
Temperature monitoring for each cell/block in a string] One string can only have one current passing through, which is the only source to heat up individual battery, unless there is a shortage on a block, which can be detected by voltage instead of temperature.
Wireless modular] Nightmare to maintain thousands of wireless modules.
- At least from 2 major vendors
- Comparison table [Consulting BatteryDAQ or another expert]
- Install by yourself or your technician to evaluation the installation difficulty and cost.
- Different cabinets, rack layouts and battery configurations
- NOC or SCADA integration
- Train your own technician or contract to a 3rd party installer
- Total cost calculation (monitoring units, harness/cable, installation, software/data, any recurring fees)
- Data management and remote/cloud access, maintenance/subscription fees
- Alarm delivery to the NOC or control room
- Pricing and quantity order delivery time frame
- Stepped approach, or full scale deployment
- Payment terms